Saturday, February 16, 2013

On the little busy homestead!

Hi All,

I realized I haven't really given you an update on all the goings on in my little homemaker world recently. 

On the homestead, it is cold cold!  We have had a couple days in the 50's which make me yearn for spring even more.  We've been pretty lucky so far with not too much snow fall.  We've had snows, but nothing more than a few inches.  We're hoping to get through the winter without needing a kerosene heater. We'd like to have one in an emergency, but we have yet again put off getting one.
Fingers Crossed!  I will be pruning back the blackberry bush soon and start prepping the garden for peas and lettuce in March!  Woohoo!  I can't wait to get in the garden.  Now more than ever I want to grow as much food as we can.  I've been air drying the majority of our clothing (hubby still likes to dry his clothes in the dryer) and I'm excited to see the electric bill so I can see how much of a difference it makes.  I will compare last year at this time to this year.  We've also been turning back the heat to 63 degrees F when we are away and 62 degrees F when we are sleeping, so I'm hoping that will cut some cost as well.  Now, how will we do this in the summer when I want to keep the windows open at night and hubby wants to switch on the air?  Hmmmmm.

Financially we are doing well and making some head way.  We had the week of repairs earlier this month when Eric's car needed a repair, a pipe got clogged to the point of needing to call a plumber and our vacuum at work just up and quit.  We got through it though and thankfully we had our baby emergency fund in place to take care of the repairs.  Business is good and we are finally feeling the benefits of lots of hard work. 

Our kitty cats are good (as if you were just dying to know)  our older kitty DiDi has graduated to her own little play area. It is basically a fenced in area in the kitchen with her bed, food/water and puppy pad close by.  She can easily find her way to what she needs with out too much trouble (she's pretty much blind at this point) It is safer for her and safer/easier for us in case she has an accident.  All the other kids are good and the little boys are so curious about outside. 

Nope, I promised a final picture of my sitting room in the next post.... it will come soon, but not this time.... until then this adorable picture will have to suffice. 



Until Next Time Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment