Sunday, January 27, 2013

Thinking Ahead and Hunter's Harvest

Hello Everybody! 

All this wintry weather we've had sure is cold, so much that I find myself daydreaming about my garden a lot!  I did very little gardening and no preserving last year.... well, that's not true, I did manage to do a batch of bread and butter pickles. I sure have missed pulling down a jar of peaches or applesauce this season, oh and don't get me started on the tomato sauces I'm missing!

With all this day dreaming, I began to think that I need to start thinking about how I'm going to approach this season.  I've got the cleaning and chores down, but now I'll be adding 2 more chores....
garden work and hopefully processing all the bounty. 

One thing that will help is Mr. Sun.  He will be coming up earlier and staying around longer in the spring and summer months, so instead of scurrying into the house when we get home at 7:30 in the evening I can head out to the garden and get a good 1/1/2 hrs in to working in the garden.

Early morning hours I can head out to water and maybe pick items that are ready to come in.  I really wanted to expand and create a herbal garden this year.  I have great access to cardboard, so maybe creating that won't be as difficult as I thought. 

It will be a grand experiment.  Now if I can just come up with an idea of how/when to preserve what ever my little garden grows this year. 

We were able to enjoy the work of a hunter's harvest this week when our friend dropped off a nicely filled bag of assorted deer meat.  Talk about local!  That's what I'm talking about!  We were treated to 3 lbs of ground meat, stew meat, steaks and bologna.  He said to just let him know when it's gone and he'll give us more.  Wow is it tasty! 

The weather is suppose to be crazy this week.  It's suppose to sleet/freezing rain tonight then go up to 45 f during the day, and mid to high 50's for a few days.... just to probably take another plunge!  I will surely take the rest from the deep freeze we've had lately!

Here's to thawing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment