Saturday, January 5, 2013

Kick butt Kick start to the New Year

Hello Everyone and Welcome to the 2013 edition of homemaker kim.... good to see ya!

Now that we've got a good foot hold on this new year, here's some plans that I have.....

1.  Start eating healthier and more local.... I've already gotten back on track with this.  There is a year round farm market near our recycle center (go ahead and roll your eyes now mom!)  that has local grass fed beef and very local (as in right down the street) brown eggs.  What a difference!  Those are some happy chickens I tell ya!  The yolk is orange which is a sign of very good nutrition, which in turn is good nutrition for me!  Booyah! 

2.  Do another year of Found Money Challenge inspired by the oh so wonderful Katy from Non-consumer advocate..... I didn't have much luck last year, I think I topped out at 45 cents.  But this is a fresh new year.... so people! Get to droppin' those coins!  I've got a challenge here!  My son has even gotten in on the fun by stealing   finding 2 pennies on the floor at Target ( I can't believe I missed it!)

3.  Start collecting aluminum cans to take to cash in at the local metal recyclers......  Now folks, I cringe at the amounts of cans that I hauled away just to dump at the recycle center.  It was easily hundreds of pounds over the years.  But then I got a clue to taking them to cash them in.  I had always known about doing it, but for some reason I just didn't.  I took in 4lbs of cans from my husbands last *ahem* "round" and I walked away with $2.76!  I know, it's nothing to write home about but hey, that do-do adds up!!  So, now I'm not only on the look out for coins, I now keep an eye out for aluminum money!  Yes, my husband is absolutely thrilled about this latest venture... just LOVES IT**

**not.


4.  Continue to be a money grubbing crazy person     responsible, thrifty,saving, loving momma......
2012 was a big change for us.  We went from making nearly 55k a year to ummmmm let's see, 15k .... yea, I know.  We started our business and thankfully it is doing well.  The only reason we were able to start our business is because we don't have any debt and don't have a lot of monthly expenses.  We squeaked by some how some way with only minor emergencies (winking at you momma!)  This past month was great and was able to take a deep breath.  We have re-funded our Baby Emergency Fund (if you speak Dave Ramsey speak) and are now working on funding a fully funded emergency fund.  We are starting to save for things like a different car for me, and have special "envelopes" (again Dave Ramsey speak) for things like Christmas, clothes, haircuts, etc....
So our financial life is good and moving forward again.  The biggest accomplishment for us though is that we went through all this and did not take on any new debt.  That is a big deal!!  **

** If you don't know who Dave Ramsey is, I highly recommend him and his financial plan! (and no, I didn't get paid to say that!)

5.  Continue to do all my "hippy" stuff....... I am daydreaming about my up coming garden, processing a crap ton of food, making granola and beef jerky, wearing my homemade deodorant, shopping at thrift stores for fun and bringing my own shopping bags every where...... all the stuff that my family just looks at me with a glazed look in their eyes and shakes their heads. 

6.  Breath...... shake off anger.....  As I get older, I realize that life can be taken from you at a moments notice.  It's fragile.... Seeing things in the news, hearing my friends lose family members unexpectedly..... we're lucky to be breathing, happy and healthy..... there's no time to hold onto anger.... there's no time to hold onto sadness... will I be perfect?  Heck No.... I'm a girl with hormones after all, but I will lighten up this year...... and just enjoy the ride.....

7.  House..... after such a heavy #6 item, I forgot to mention to continue the decorating and decluttering of my house..... light and fresh is what I'm going for.... by special request by hubbs, I will be reorganizing/cleaning out the laundry closet next.  I'm trying to think of ways to prettify it (what you've never heard of prettify?)  so come back soon for a picture packed post! 

Well, I think that's it..... thanks for coming along with me for this coming year! 

Until next time friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment