Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Reorganizing the Coat Closet.


So, as you know, I've started going through the house and reorganizing things.  I'm shedding things that I don't need, use or think are beautiful.  When I come home in the evenings, I want to have that cozy feeling like when you put on your favorite warm sweater.... ahhhhh, home.....  When we invite friends and family over, we want them to feel the same way.  We want them to feel like they can kick off their shoes, climb on the couch, grab a blanket and hey! how 'bout a beer over here!?  Or more pie please!  You know, comfy.... but still pretty and organized.... oh boy do we need organized! 

 
Coat Closet BEFORE
 
 
So here we are at the coat closet.  Don't you just love that jumbled mess of boots and who knows what in the bottom floor of the closet?  Coats crammed in like sardines tickling your fancy right about now?  I thought so.  Now I have cleaned out this closet before and it always, ALWAYS ends up looking like this.  Luckily I've been reading Kelly's blog  www.imperfecthomemaking.com
 
She's an inspiration to clutter bugs like myself.  You should check it out, this girl rocks!  Seriously guys, she's awesome... if you love anything homemaking, you will like her blog.  She did the same thing to her house with beautiful results, so I said to myself.... I gotta get some of that! 
 
So I went through each item in the closet and I thought for sure my husband was the coat hoarder y'all.  Nope.... it's me.  I have 7 jacket/coats.  A work coat, 3 fashion coats, a regular winter coat, a lighter winter coat and a jacket.  Seven!  My husband has a measly 5 and he donated one last night.  My son beat us all by only having 3.  He does have 2 more jacket/coats upstairs in his bedroom closet that he will need to grow into before he can wear them.  They were both in the coat closet before and I was thinking.... why?  So up they went.  I decided to get rid of the Kirby vacuum carpet shampoo attachment since I have never used it and never will.  However,for what ever reason I had decided I needed to keep it for ohhhhh 8 years now.  Toss.  We donated a couple games that Ashton has outgrown and moved our boots upstairs with the rest of our shoes..... isn't that an interesting idea???  I moved kitty litter supplies to the newly cleaned/organized  kitty litter closet (yes my girls require an entire closet for their litter box) and all we had left were the remaining coats, exercise equipment, games and hat/glove baskets.  Now readers, I'm ashamed at how dusty the bottom of that closet was when everything came out..... how does that even happen?? 
 
As I stood there with the beautiful empty closet, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if I had one of those cute little shelves so I could set things on the top and store things in the cubbies?  Tiiiinnnnggg!  This is where this little lovely comes in.....
 
 
I had this sitting empty in my bedroom.  It used to hold old pictures and photo albums. BUT since I recently cleaned out the little cabinet in my sitting room and put all the pictures together in one place (gee why did it take me so long to figure that one out?)  this baby was just praying for a job.  So, I put this shelf on its side and wahhhhlaaaaaahhhhh..... perfection. 
 
Coat Closet AFTER
 
Nice huh?  Now I might actually use those dumbbells since I don't have to wrestle junk out of the way to find them.  Did you notice that we have 3, count 'em 3 free hangers?  This has never happened.  Our guests could actually hang up their coats instead of plopping them down on a chair for our kitties to lay on!  I would like to eventually paint the inside, because hey, Kelly does that and I can say it really does make a difference.  But, that will be a later date.....this is a really good start though. 
 
 
So, do you have a closet or room that just make you crazy?  Please tell me I'm not the only one!! 
 
 
Until next time friends...... next, I face the armoire, which I also call the mess that must not be mentioned.  Wish me luck.  



No comments:

Post a Comment