Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tis the season!

So here we are in December already!  We're enjoying the holiday season with activities together as a family.  We've been busy at the store, but are still taking time to do some fun things.  We've got some fun gift ideas in mind but of course since I know that my mom reads my blog, I won't be sharing what those gifts are!  Gotcha Mom!! 


The garden is pretty much done for the season.  You can see that I still have 2 bags of goat manure that needs to be laid out.  My initial plan was to lay it out and cover with straw to begin to kill back grass for a bigger bed next year, but we have been so busy that I didn't get to do that.  I haven't even put in my garlic yet, but I can do that in early spring. 


Here are some greens that we are still eating.... they are muslin mix that are spicy and just slightly bitter, so good with balsamic vinegar!  It feels great to still be able to walk out back and get fresh greens.  Some of the leaves have been nipped back a bit by the few heavy frosts we have had, but overall are still going strong. 


In other family news, we have gotten another neighborhood kitty neutered.  An adorable boy kitten and his mom found our kitty shelter during Sandy and he is so sweet.  I picked him up this morning from being at the clinic having his "jingle bells" removed!  I'll post pictures soon. I've been trying to trap/catch his mom for months with no luck.  The closest I got was scruffing her while she was eating, but then when I tried to put her in the crate, she kicked really hard, knocking the crate over and herself out of my hand!  She plopped on the floor and high tailed it out of there.  Eventually Barbie Kitty..... eventually! 

We visited the park yesterday evening and walked through Winter Wonderland.  Every year they put up tons of Christmas lights and for a small price you can walk through.  Absolutely beautiful and since I wasn't freezing my toosh off this year it was even more fun! We still don't have a tree yet.  We have bought real ones for the past couple years and really enjoy it.  We'll probably get one this weekend.  There is just something I love about the experience of picking out a tree, hauling it home on the roof of our car and then smelling it all through the season.  When we're done, we know it will be turned into mulch.  It's a win-win for us! 

What activities do you like to do with your family during the holidays?  Is there a must serve dish at Thanksgiving?  Are there cookies that Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without?  Tell me all about it..... I'll go make some cocoa while you leave a note in the comments section! 

Until Next Time Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment