Friday, November 16, 2012

Homemade Yogurt


Hello Again Everybody!

I've been dipping my toes into the world of cheese, butter and yogurts.... wow!  So much fun!  We love fresh mozzarella and now I can't see going back to buying the bricks at the grocery store.  Not only for the taste, but the price is so much better.  For the price of a gallon of milk, I can have a pound of yummy mozzarella and get some ricotta as well! 

Last week I made my first batch of yogurt.  I had tried a different method once before but I didn't like the consistency at all.  With the method I used this time, it came out perfectly.  The only adjustment I think I'll make next time is to let it sit for 8 hrs instead of 7.  This will give me even firmer yogurt and more of a stronger taste.

You will be amazed at how easy it is!  Again, why pay for something you can simply make yourself!?  Why pay for something when I now know exactly what is in my yogurt?  Here's what I did. 

I took a quart of milk and heated it slowly to 185 degrees Fahrenheit. While it was warming, I turned my oven on to preheat at 350 degrees for 2 minutes.  Turn it off when two minutes is up.  You want your oven good and warm, but not hot.  Let it sit while you finish heating the milk.  I then cooled the milk down to 110 degrees F quickly in a ice water bath.  It's a good idea to use stainless steel so you can go from hot to cold with no *ahem* accidents..... Once the milk is cooled, stir in 2-3 Tablespoons of a good quality plain yogurt.  I used Greek yogurt.  Be sure that it is plain and says that it has live cultures in it. 

Now place a lid on your pot (preferably a tight fitting lid), wrap it in a kitchen towel and sit it in the oven.  Now wait for 7 hours for a good yogurt that is slightly loose in consistency or 8 if you like a Greek style yogurt.  You now have plenty of time to do all the things moms like to do during the day, like laundry, dishes, ironing.....you know, all the FUN stuff!  :)  You may want to check the oven to make sure it hasn't cooled off too much.... This happened to me and I just turned my stove to warm for about 30 seconds and then turned it off again. 

Ok, now it's 7-8 hrs later.... you are tired from all that shopping, I mean, cleaning you've been doing all day..... take the pot out of the oven and remove the lid.  You should see a cheesy texture on top and maybe some separation of curds and whey.  Stir it up and place it in the container that you want to store it in.  It will be more loose right now, so don't worry, it will firm up in the fridge.  Set it in the fridge overnight.  The next morning you are ready for smoothies, plain, or spiced up with fruit and granola! 

Try it-- you will love it!  OH!  Don't forget..... save 2-3 Tablespoons of your yogurt and put it in the freezer..... for your next batch of homemade yogurt.  :)

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment