Friday, July 6, 2012

A different kind of pickle.

This is my car.  My husband and I bought this car brand new in 1996.  It was a left over 1995, so we got a good deal. When we bought it, it had 52 miles on it.  Not 52,000, just 52.  I love this car.  We bought her knowing she was going to sweep us away to our honeymoon, and hopefully one day, bring home our baby.  Well, that baby is 10.  I have not only brought him home in this car, but I have also taken him to preschool and nearly all of elementary school.  It has taken us on road trips and *gee* she's just great.  She is not as pretty as she used to be, she's showing her age.  She now has 225,000 miles on her and is still a reliable girl. 

But now we're in a pickle. 

Although I exclaim her greatness, there have been issues lately.  This past year, we have easily spent over a thousand dollars keeping her running.  It has all been replacing parts that, well, just wear out over a 16 year span.  Understandable.  We've gotten great deals by buying the parts and having our neighbor replace, repair or tune up what ever needs to be done.  But now, there's a problem that won't be so easy. 

It seems that the ignition switch needs to be replaced.  It still works, but there are times that it is very hard to get it to start.  There was even a running joke about how I have the magic touch in getting her started.  I laugh and say we've been together a long time and she knows who her owner is. 

The part isn't that expensive, it's only about $120.00, it's the installation that will be a ...... let's say "witch"..... the mechanic would have to all but do somersaults to get this thing replaced. 
So here is our dilemma.

She is worth $1100 by Kelly Blue Book.  It is starting to become silly to continue to throw money at it. 

I could just wait until it just won't work at all ..... ever....

Emotions aside, we aren't exactly in a position to buy a different car right now.  I guess we could if we had to, but I would prefer to not just trade for another car about to go to car heaven. 

I think I will slowly start saying goodbye to my girl.   :*(

I will keep you posted!

Until next time friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment