Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thoughts on a food stamp challenge and a new hobbie!

Hello Everybody! 

Today you'll find me at work enjoying the company of both hubby and son.  Looking around, I have to say that I'm pretty spoiled. But, I'm not here to brag about how great I have it.  Keep on track Kim!

First off,  I am a regular reader of The Non-Consumer Advocate.  I love her blog and she is gearing up for a Food Stamp Challenge.  The premise is to see and experience how living off food stamps can be done.  After looking at some links on government assistance, it looks like you get $4.00 a day per person.  I believe there is differences per state as to considering age of the people.  Cause lets face it, a teenage boy is going to eat a heck of a lot more than 6mth old boy!  So I did the math and it works out to be $84.00 a week for our family of three.  Well, since we spend $75.00 a week, we are doing pretty good!  I cook from scratch as much as possible, buy in bulk and use beans/legumes to help keep the cost down.  Not everybody has the time or ability to cook from scratch so please don't put down folks who need assistance by accusing that they don't use their assistance properly. 

Secondly, I have a new hobby that I love that The Non-Consumer Advocate inspired me to do. (yes, I really do love her site!)  She collects money that she finds and sees how much she has at the end of the year.  I believe that she puts it into her savings account.  I might be wrong.  Anyhoo, she has had a lot more luck than I have!  The last time she mentioned it, she had found and saved $20 couple dollars.  I on the other hand have found a dismal 28 cents.  Now, in my defense, I haven't really been keeping my eyes peeled lately but now I'm an eagle ready to strike in any parking lot that I roam.  Also, keep in mind that I do this for FUN..... (Mom this is for you!  I'm not starving!) 

Should I be concerned that most of my hobbies are involved in some way in saving money?  I'm borderline one of those people featured on Extreme Cheapskates! 

Until next time friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment