Sunday, September 9, 2012

See You In September......

Hello All, 

I've been enjoying the coolness in the air lately.  It's that time again.  Time for sweaters, fall leaves and pumpkins!  I don't like being cold but I do love that we get to experience 4 very different seasons in our area.  Along with starting my fall garden and learning how to make mozzarella cheese, I also sent my son to 5th grade.  Oh how time flies!

 
 
So here we are in September already!  Days are getting shorter and nights are getting cooler.  So how are we doing at Casa De Boyers?  Why, sit down a spell and I'll tell ya allllll about it!
 
First off, we've been in business for 5 months now and we are just on this side of the business supporting us.  So close we can taste it!  We are so very lucky to be able to do this.  It is frustrating some days, but we are getting to the part where we are actually being paid for the 50-60 hr work weeks!  We look ahead and say SAIL ON!
 
At home I am enjoying getting into a routine of sorts now that school has started.  He actually started back in late August and he has mixed feelings about the whole thing.  His teacher is nice, but she is firm and she expects her students to do their best.  Well, that would be ok if Ashton felt like doing his best everyday.  Oh well.  We will get through it.  Getting all the chores done at home in a some what timely manner is starting to get a bit easier. 
 
As I mentioned above, I've been focusing a lot on the garden.  My goal is to grow as much food as I can.  I'm afraid that my spring/summer garden was a bust with only a few tomatoes and a handful of beans.  But in my defense, I started late and had no supplies except what was left over from last year.  However, I have high hopes for my fall garden.  I've got lettuce coming up and planning on putting out more seeds this week, along with collard greens.  These will be placed in an area where I can put a cold frame over them to hopefully keep them going long after the first frost.  I bought broccoli plants and strawberry plants at our local nursery for 50% off!  They are in the ground and with a nice mulch/straw blanket, they should be fine.  I also have cucumbers and peas flowering.  In the center of the garden I planted Black Eye Susans.  Now, I'm not a huge fan of the flower, the main reason I purchased them (at 50% off!) was because they are considered nectararies.  They will attract honeybees and butterflies to the garden.  I'll be giving them some extra nectar, while they'll be helping me pollinate my vegetables.  Nice trade off.  Now that they are planted, I have to admit I love the splash of color. 
 
 
For dinner tonight we will be eating mozzarella cheese (not made by me unfortunately), homegrown tomatoes and homegrown basil.  Ahhhhh, better late than never!  Thanks for reading!
 
 
Until next time friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment