Thursday, April 12, 2012

Getting there and easy money decisions....

Morning All,  I have figured out how to keep the house clean and tidy.... kinda anyway... it's going well so far, I should say.  After work, we come home and I do one load of laundry and one other chore, say dust the downstairs.... next night, laundry and dust upstairs.  It will take longer for me to get the whole house clean, but hey, you gotta do what you can.  Now if I can figure out how to get the errands done, we'll be good to go.

My little garden is growing as well as it can.  I'm watering almost every morning.  I have lost a couple things due to light frost, but it's ok.  Garlic, onions, lettuce, carrots, spinach and a couple bean plants are up and doing well so far.  I covered them up with straw last night to be safe against the cold.  Last season I cut my pear tree way back because it had fire blight and it is coming back quite well this season. It's short for sure and looks more like a bush than a tree, but it's healthy.  I'll have to wait and see if it blooms this year, I'm guessing not though.  I think I mentioned before, but I have given a 5' diameter space to mother nature to do with what she wants and it's doing it's thing for now.  You can't really tell yet, since we've only mowed once.  I sprinkled some flower seeds out there, maybe they'll take hold, maybe not.  We'll let mother decide.  :)

I've got two little kitties coming to my house for a daily meal.  The one, I named Dililah, I have had spayed and she is as cute and sweet as a button!  Another my husband named Barbie Q, is also a sweet thing and I'm amazed at how sweet she has become now that we have earned her trust.  She just had a litter of kittens, but I don't know where she had them.  I know what day she had them and I'm hoping we will have the money to get her spayed in june.  That will give her babies time to nurse and wean off and give Barbie time to dry her milk up.   We'll see.  So, on the homefront, we are getting there.

Now onto business.... aren't you just so excited to hear!?!

My little guy, well, he's 10, is doing ok adjusting to being at the store a lot of the time.  He's on spring break right now, so we're all getting used to being there all day.... us working and him playing.  We have learned quickly that if we just stop for 10 minutes, at least one of us, and play with him, blow off some steam, he does much better on his own for awhile.... Summer is going to be tough, but, we've got family and friends telling us he can visit with them so he won't be cooped at the store every day all day.

Our store is doing well for having just opened.  We are slow, but we are managing to get at least one sale a day.  We are advertising more and more.  Once we get the news out and get a good foot hold on this thing, I think we will be fine.  We have quite a buzz going on facebook and everyone that comes in tells us they are happy we are opened.  People had to travel to get our products or shop online, so that is good news!  My husband will be doing a festival next month and that will really get the word out..... it's just this first part we need to get through.

And now,  I know you've been waiting so patiently for, the easy money decisions.  What kind of formula have I come up with that makes money decisions easy you ask?  You can't wait, I know.....
Well, it is this.  Get ready.  Here it comes!

When you have little to no money, usually the answer is no.

That's the trick.  Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. 

Since we had to send the government (god bless their lovely souls) $4000 in taxes, that ate up almost half of our money to live on during this adjustment period with the store.  You're probably wondering what the heck kim?  Why 4K?  Well, thanks to my previous employer (god bless their lovely souls) they didn't take out enough in taxes this past year, plus even though we had taxes taken out of my husbands profit share when he left his company, we still had to pay more.  Gaaahhhh, I know.....

Anyway, back to this mind blowing trick.  No money = no buy.  Period.  No more thought necessary.

New mulch for the gardens? No.   Plants for the garden?  No.  Work with the seeds you have. 
Dinner out because we're tired and just not up to cooking?  No.  You have no money for that.  Ok, how 'bout just McDonalds?  No.  No money for that either.  Pretty easy huh? 

If it isn't gas for the cars (oh Lord, that's a post in itself), bills or food from the discount outlet grocery store, it's not happening!

But we aren't poor.  We are just broke at this point in our lives.  We have money to last us for a little bit longer and a car to sell.  (we were planning on getting rid of it anyway) So are you asking, kim?, why on earth are you doing all this, working longs hours, doing something you've never done before, reworking your chore schedule, living on a tighter than tight budget, why kim why? 

I'll tell you why.  We are together. Yes, my son goes off to school for the day, but when he is done, I pick him up.  My husband and I don't part ways and go to jobs that we hate, with people we have nothing in common with and spend most of our days with them.  We are together, side by side, laughing.  Enjoying our successes and supporting each other when we get scared.  It's not for everybody.  For sure, this life isn't for everybody.  But it's good for us.  We love it.  And even if the last nickel gets spent and we have nothing left, the sun will still rise.  We will still be together side by side. 

That's why.

Enjoy your day friends.  Enjoy your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment